I made good progress this week. I finally completed a stable function of generating multiple AR objects. I made a lot of changes to the original code and bound the generated items with IDs. And the current code also has good scalability to allow more items to be generated. In addition, I learned MLAPI and completed the online UI. However, it has not been confirmed whether the online function can operate correctly. I am currently using bolts to complete the game mechanics. Since there was no time, I had to make a lot of compromises. But I still try to…

The information provided by Maria gave me some good inspirations. I tried to use Kezie Todd’s way of thinking to consider my problem to help me design the mechanism of the room escape game at this stage. Kezie asked a few questions at the beginning to help write the storyline. I also imitated this method and asked a few questions:

1. Compared with the traditional escape room, what do I hope is the difference?

2. From the perspective of the game, what kind of experience I want to give users.

3. How to encourage users to cooperate.

4. What theme…

I did more research on the code this week. I figured out the relationship between the various Scripts and solved a bug that bothered me for a while. I hope to complete the function of generating and upload 5 objects this week, but there is a problem with my method. I continue to study this framework, and I hope to understand what happens when an object is uploaded. So I focused on the relevant functions. I took a lot of notes to prevent myself from getting lost in the sea of code. This part may be the biggest change to…

This week I continue to study the basic framework. After many attempts, I realized the decomposition of the basic functions and gained a better understanding of this framework. This is necessary for subsequent function development. After testing, the data of the rotating object can be saved correctly, but the interactive method needs to be adjusted because the program often mistakes the rotation of the two fingers as an operation to update the position of the object.

Analyzing the lower-level program structure

According to the plan, in week 0, I tried to use a new method to manually control the process of Azure Spatial anchor. I calmed down and read the code and proved the feasibility of this method. I also learned some Bolt in advance and tried to use it to make rotating objects. I think Bolt and Blueprint have many similarities. But some strange problems appeared during the test, and finally, I learned and used Unity’s Lean touch to implement this function.

Note for analyzing code

In the first week, I spent some time designing the gameplay. I referenced some games with different characteristics…

According to the predetermined plan, I need to confirm today whether I can succeed in unreal. At present, I am still debugging these blueprint nodes in hopes of finding the reasons that cause the system to fail. The official document only provides the production method of the part, but how to use it needs my own research. Testing AR applications is more difficult than ordinary software because I can’t see the triggered blueprint on the computer. So I added a large number of Print commands to the blueprint node to check where the error occurred. The current situation is that…

Earlier this week, I faced two choices. The first is to try to package an app that can run stably, and the other is to try to package the App in a more stable environment after learning the sample project. But after careful study, the sample project provided by Google has a complex structure that exceeds expectations. These blueprints can be difficult to migrate. So I tried to change the goal to package a stable running app.

This is part of the blueprint in the google example

But before that, I tested the running effect of this sample app. I successfully connected the computer and the mobile phone. They share…

After last week’s efforts, the compilation problems of the UE4 engine have all been resolved. This is a milestone. But I soon encountered a new problem: the software I compiled could not run normally, and I could not see any error logs in UE4. So I started to study this problem. This may be caused by the following reasons: 1. There are still problems with the UE4 engine I compiled, which is less likely 2. There is a problem with the Android packaging environment because I need to ensure that the new and old Android packaging environments are compatible, but…

My research this week is mainly about compiling UE4 from source code. I had to do this because last week I found out that I must use this special version of UE4 to compile Android software with AR cloud anchor. I encountered many errors when compiling this special version of ue4. This may be caused by the incompatibility between Visual studio 2019 and the old version of UE4. I searched and found that this is a common problem. But the solution did not work for me. I first fixed the garbled problem, which was caused by the VS multi-language pack…

AR cloud anchors

It seems that my research direction is basically feasible, so I started my research this weekend. I encountered some difficulties in the first step. I started to study the sample project of AR cloud anchor based on the old version of UE4.21 but I cannot open the sample project correctly. At the same time, no available tutorials were found on Youtube. I may need to rethink which engine should be used to solve these problems. UE4 seems to be a bit cumbersome in handling such lightweight AR apps. I tried to use these google services directly in my project according…

Jiaxing Gao

Student

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store